Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Retirement parties

Last night I went to a retirement party for a woman that has worked at the college for 36 years.  First, I find that incredible.  It is amazing to me that anyone stays in one "company" for that long.  I don't usually use names on the blog, but I think that this is important.  

Holly Sateia is incredible.  As an undergrad she pushed me through Dartmouth. She NEVER allowed me to quit and she fought for me tooth and nail.  She wasn't going to allow a system that I didn't understand, didn't recognize and had never encountered to stop me from jumping over every single hurdle there was.  She is a large part of why I graduated on time and mostly in one piece. She has been and I know will continue to be an advocate for all students but especially for those students who have the greatest disadvantages.  She recognizes that treating everyone the same does not mean treating everyone fairly or equitably.  She passionately cares for students and their lives.  She has done everything in her power to make Dartmouth and the world a better place.  I am glad to know her and to have had the tremendous honor of being her student and colleague.   

Dartmouth is not the same without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment