Thursday, March 31, 2011

Coming out of the Dark

Does anyone remember that Gloria Estefan song?   I think she wrote it when she was in a car accident in her tour bus with all of the miami sound machine and she thought she would never walk again!

I'm pretty sure that is the story.

Well, I was not in a car accident.  My legs are fine.  My crew is all well.

That being said - I have to admit that I feel like I understand her song a little bit after the last month.  There has been a lot of family, friend, work, life crap happening and I have been digging deep to not fold into my mental darkness.  So I have had my head down and I've been pushing through.  I have only been able to focus on one thing at a time and focus on the immediate needs.  Quick run down of the last month - good, bad, bizarre & ugly:

  1. I was in an episode of House.  Not really. My stepfather's illness over the last month has felt like that.  His kidneys are failing.  Give him emergency hema-dialysis.  STAT. He's had a minor heart attack.  We think there might be a blood clot.  He's slipping into a coma.  Doctor, we must figure this out.  Blood test. Cat scan. MRI. EKG. ECG. EGG. OMG! Spinal tap. He has bacterial meningitis.  Awake.  Alert.  Damaged.  Alive. Run credits...
  2. Amazing weekend at the National Staff Conference for SLTP.  60 people that give me strength, lead by example and love fully.  AWESOME!
  3. BFF finished the dissertation.  woo-hoo. 
  4. Student sexually assualted.  
  5. Student org attempts to fly through Japan after the earthquake and as the nuclear plant begins to melt down.  I say - uh...Wtf?  They proceed to get pissed at me for raining on their parade.  All ends well.  Students realize, perhaps Narita airport was not the best place to be.  
  6. Missed 2 Thursdays of karaoke. 
  7. Upside of above house episode - got to spend a good chunk of quality time with my niece.  love her. 
  8. There have been a few warm days over the last month.  It gives me hope that spring is coming. 
  9. I discovered "Just Dance" for Wii and I am addicted.  (I'll write a different blog post about that). 
  10. Rebecca Black.  (who will also get her own post)
So yeah, the last month hasn't been all good or all bad - just challenging.  It's good to be back.  :) 



>

No comments:

Post a Comment