Sunday, September 22, 2013

Inspiration


I am inspired by Sarah, the daughter of one of my good friends.  Sarah is in 6th grade and is playing on the football team.  I am inspired by a young woman that embraces her strength and is willing to follow an unconventional path.  The teen years can be challenging, other kids can be mean, and it isn't easy to make your own choices.  I am inspired by anyone that can at any age, but particularly at a young age.

I am also deeply pleased by how the coaches treated her.  From where I was sitting they treated her as an equal member of the team.  She isn't as skilled as other members but she is paying attention, she's playing, and when she was in the game she was solid as a rock on defense.  Sarah did not let those other players get by her.

I am also deeply inspired by my Sarah's mom, TC. Her complete support of her daughter and her clear love for her is evident in everything she does.  TC doesn't realize it but she is one of the most incredible mothers. Her children never have to wonder whether their mother loves them.  They have clear boundaries and expectations.  She is their advocate, their ally, their cheerleader, their teacher, their counselor... She is perfectly imperfect and an awe-inspiring mom.

Sarah and her mother both inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment