Tuesday, February 4, 2014

52 Lists: Things I am grateful for

52 Lists
Week Five// List The Things You Are Grateful For

I am grateful ...

...for the fact that my family, despite not having gone to college themselves, always told me that I was going to go to college 

...that Mary Leger believed in me enough my first year of high school to give me a scholarship to SLTP and to then pay for my attendance when I couldn't afford to go
 
...that I met Jim Fitzgerald and have had the great honor and privilege to be loved, supported, mentored, and challenged by him
 
...for the MayFlower singers - Lisa, Jeff, and Jason - and the great adventures we had finding Tam the goat
 
...that I moved around a lot when I was younger and changed schools because it made me more resilient

...for the laughter and love of my beautiful niece

...for my involvement in the Student Leadership Training Program - the skills I've learned, the people I've met, and the laughter we've shared has been a foundation for me to stand on

...my best friend - my life is fuller and more complete because of him.

...for my friends.  I am a lucky woman because I have been blessed with some incredible people in my life (past and present) and I am lucky enough to call them friends. Each of you has helped me grow and has made my life fuller.

... to have a reliable car, a wonderful home, a cute dog, a regular paycheck, and a job that challenges and fulfills me (most of the time)

... that I can find humor even in the darkest moments, a skill that I learned from my mother.  No matter what was going on in our lives, there was always laughter and music in our life. 

... for the storehouse of random lyrics that I have in my head and the eclectic taste in music that I have cultivated over the many years. 

...for Thursday night karaoke and the friends, laughter, and ridiculousness it has afford me

...for the upper valley aquatic center

...for pandora, netflix, facebook, pinterest and other media that have made some things in life easier.

...for books and the adventures I've gone on and the characters I've met between the pages

... for lists and file folders and labelmakers and color coding and other terribly ridiculous organization tools

... for YouTube videos

... finding joy in small moments

...for the walk to work and back home because it gives me time to decompress and process

...for a good glass of wine or an excellent Cosmo

... for having learned some things the hard way and for working to make a difference so that other young people don't have to learn the hard way

... for twizzlers and reese's peanut butter cups and jelly belly sour jellybeans

...for Santa Claus and the holiday season

...for moments where I have laughed so hard that my stomach ached, for moments when I have cried so hard that my eyes got swollen, for moments when I have loved so deeply my heart burst, for moments when I have been so filled with anger that I saw red, for moments when I have been in deep despair that it felt like I would never get out of the darkness...all of those moments have taught me how to live and to feel and to share and to love.  They weren't easy but in retrospect I am grateful for these moments because to me they mean that I am living and engaging with the world.  They mean that I am facing my fears.  These moments and the lessons learned from them are what make up who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment