Friday, January 20, 2012

Reunited....

and it feels so good... Ah, don't we all love a little Peaches & Herb...

Last night Karaoke & I reunited.  We hit a rough patch in our relationship.  It was bound to happen.  We had three solid years of bliss.  Every week we would meet up and we would enjoy each other's company.  I talked about it all the time and it was always on my mind.  Every Thursday, people knew that I would be involved in a meaningful relationship with a microphone and music.  I made lists of songs.  I made lists of songs for other people. 

I should have seen the moment of separation coming.  It was clearly marked.  All the signposts were there.  Haven't we all been in those relationships before?  They are so perfect and so important that we ignore the warning signs.  The last few months it just hadn't felt the same.  So many people had left the table.  LS, MdS, JH, TC...  Then the regulars from the Cave started to leave, Martin, Pierre, Koozy Man, etc...Then Cher was no longer KJ.  So much change.  It wasn't the same.  I still loved Karaoke...but we had started to grow apart.

It wasn't the experience that I had fallen in love with.  So of course, I pulled away.  I started making excuses not to be available on Thursday nights.  I stopped making lists. I was indecisive about what to sing and could tell I was only half-heartedly engaged.  Something had to be done.  I needed to either break up with Karaoke or I needed to find another way to reconnect.  I didn't want to lose this relationship  between me and the music...I wanted to find a way to make it work.

So I recruited new people to come to sing.  I found new things to love.  I have been working on getting to know the experience all over again.  And last night....success.  Karaoke was fantastic.  It was fun.  It was satisfying.  It left me energized.

Was it the same experience as before?  No.  But that is okay....we change, we grow, we evolve and that is true for all relationships.  It is worth the effort when it is something we love.  So, last night, karaoke and I reunited.  It was a blast.  There were new faces around the table and new songs and a guitar.  Thanks DS, JP, AC for an awesome evening.

Let's raise a glass to many more years of Karaoke fun!


Josiah, Amanda & I at karaoke!  Building a new karaoke adventure.  Picture taken by Dan!

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you, and the future of karaoke. (Wanna hear you sing sometime, Lizness!)

    ReplyDelete