Sunday, August 26, 2012

Resolutions

In January I made two resolutions for 2012: (1) Be Thankful and (2) Be Healthy. The first one was easy.  I work in it weekly and take time regularly to be thankful for the amazing things in my life.  Being Healthy has proven to be more challenging.  I was talking about health in a holistic way.  I was talking about my financial, emotional, spiritual and physical health.  I've made some progress.

Financially I am in the best place I have ever been.  I have an actual savings account and am working on saving a comfortable cushion and enough to put a good chunk of change down on a new car.  I'm still working on budgeting and making sure that I don't spend all my money in the first two weeks of the month leaving me struggling in the last two weeks.  This is a learning process and I was never taught how to manage money, so now that I'm 33, I am finally getting the hang of it. 

Emotionally & Spiritually - eh, well, I'm working on it.  I think that writing in the blog again is part of the process to keep myself connected to my emotional and spiritual health.  I am throwing myself back into SLTP which is always a place the feeds my emotional, spiritual and intellectual side.  I am taking time for myself.  I am allowing myself to have the full range of emotions.  I am working on communicating and being more fearless.  I am taking time to unplug from technology to sit outside, to breath and to be mindful.  These are all baby steps and I don't do them consistently. All of these changes are about trying to build healthier habits. 

Physically I am making slow progress.  I am exercising more regularly.  I renewed my membership at the aquatic center and have been swimming and taking water aerobics.  I also joined Weight Watchers.  I think that WW is really helpful for me in being thoughtful about what I am eating and when.  It gives me a picture and forces me to think about the choices I am making.  Food has always served as a comfort to me, so I eat when I'm sad, when I'm angry, etc.  And I don't eat a little when I feel this way, I eat too much.  That isn't a healthy relationship with food.  So WW is helping me think about my food choices and to start making other decisions when I want to eat emotionally.  So, I have been making a concert effort for 4 weeks.  I notice that I feel different physically and that is important.  The scale reads that I have lost weight and the body measurements show that I have as well, but honestly, that isn't really the point.  I want to feel good. 

So, it has taken 8 months but I have made progress on all of my resolutions.  That makes me proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment