Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 - new year, new goals

I started out making a list of 14 goals for 2014 - that list became a list of 20.  I'm really looking forward to the new year.  I'm not sure why I feel full of joy and hope about this year, but I do feel that way, so I'm going to go with the flow.

My list of 14, errrrh 20, goals is as follows:

See firewater in Providence.  I really want to see this event.  I have for a long time and I've never made the time to see it.  This year is the year.

Continue improving my healthy habits: Last year I lost 80 pounds but more importantly I learned to eat healthier and I exercised more.  I feel better about myself, I have more energy, and I am more engaged.  The goal is to keep it up.  I had a specific weight loss goal on my original list but I don't think that is smart and not really the point.

Apply to graduate school.  It is time for me to finish procrastinating on this and actually finish the applications!

Spend more time in Ogunquit this summer.  I love it.  My BFF has a cottage there.  Why not?

Take better care of my teeth. I hate flossing.  I need to floss.

Read a book every 2 weeks.  Doesn't matter what the book is, I just want to read more.  I used to read all the time, I couldn't get enough of it but I have been very remiss in my reading.  I probably should  make sure I have a current library card.  :)

Research and work towards becoming a Zumba instructor. Specifically, I want to become an Aqua Zumba instructor but that requires me to do the main certification first.

Hang stuff on walls. I have pictures and stuff sitting in a corner and for 7 years they have moved with me from apartment to apartment.  It is time for me to hang them up.

Increase my investment and ownership in SLTP.  This is a program that I love and I want to become more fully involved and find new ways to give to the program and help grow the program.

Go apple and berry picking.  Not necessarily on the same day. I've never been apple picking.

Take a baking class at King Arthur Flour.  I love to bake.  I love to learn.  Why not do both?

Ride a roller coaster.  I haven't been on one since I was in high school.

Go to the Big E.  Anyone from Massachusetts or Connecticut likely knows what this is.  It is a giant country fair - I guess is the best way to describe it.  I used to love it as a kid and I want to go back.

Take a trip to NYC.  I want to meet baby Nico and see my dear friend JF.

Take myself on a date once a month.  Dinner and a movie for one?  yes, please!

Paint the wood furniture.  I have a ton of unfinished wood furniture and I am going to paint or stain it this year.

Buy a bike.  I also hope to ride it but the main goal for 2014 is to simply purchase a bike.

Increase student contact at work.  I like my job but I want more student contact.  I can find ways to do it, I just need to be proactive and intentional.

Read the New York Times on Sundays and attempt the crossword puzzle.  This used to be one of my favorite activities when I lived in NYC.  Generally, the news makes me VERY depressed and so I stopped reading regularly. I want to get back to it so that I can be better informed but also because I like it.  I've never completed a Sunday crossword puzzle but I've got 52 weeks to try.  :)

Practice Kindness.  I generally try to be a very kind person.  I am usually kindest to other people.  So I want to practice being kind to myself.  I want to continue to practice kindness towards others.  I want to be more intentional about the ways that I should my care and compassion to others.  I want to practice random acts of kindness. 

So that's it.  That's the list.  2014 - here I come.


*** Whoops!  I missed one.  There are 21!  The last one is Run in the Electric Run 5K in Boston in October.  My friend AC and I are going to do it together using the Couch to 5K method.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I am fully in support of #15, and the rest of them as well! (The Big E sounds like loads of fun, btw. Is it near a train line, perchance?!) JF

    ReplyDelete