Monday, September 27, 2010

The dialogue not the decision...

I serve on a committee that helps render decisions when students have made academic or conduct violations.  We hear the student out and make a decision about 1) whether that student is in violation or not and 2) what the sanction should be if s/he is in violation.

These are really difficult and trying meetings.  It is not generally an easy conversation.  Holding students accountable for their actions is not an easy thing.  I often leave these meetings with a heavy heart and I wonder what could we as an institution have done to keep this from happening, to help prepare our students, to engage them in meaningful ways earlier...etc, etc, etc...

Today as I walked away from the meeting after we had made a final decision, I thought about the process that I had been through and while the decision was difficult and didn't bring joy - I take satisfaction in the dialogue, in knowing that a student was able to have their voice heard and that the decision was thoughtful.  

I guess this isn't really a post about joy but about taking satisfaction and pleasure in a good process that treats students with respect.  It isn't always that way but today good work was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment