Monday, September 20, 2010

Let the joy commence

Today I was rocked by joy.  

I was working tonight until 1am at an orientation event.  I work at a small liberal arts college and have the dubious responsibility of helping plan social programming for our orientation week.  Tonight was karaoke and a dance party.  I LOVE karaoke.  I enjoy singing it, but more importantly I enjoy watching other people sing it.  I love when people truly love a song and whether they can sing well or not carry a tune, they throw their entire selves into the song.  

Tonight, I watched as student after student sang songs they loved, cheered each other on and danced while their classmates sang.  They supported each other.  They laughed and danced and sang.  

It was beautiful.  

As I walked home from work, I realized that I was smiling and I stopped in my path to pay attention to that feeling.  It was this warm glowy feeling of joy.  I was glad that I noticed it.  I want to remember it.  I am the only person that can notice my joy and let joy embue my life.  So here I am - starting this blog to document my year of joy!

1 comment:

  1. Need I say, Liz, how much I LOVE THIS! You so totally get it, don't you? What we focus on grows. Pause for gratitude is paramount in finding true joy.

    Thank you for starting this. It makes me feel less alone in the world. Please keep it up and please be that unbelievable humorous, yet painfully, honest beautiful woman that I know you are! I have been debating for some time about starting a blog that is also more personal... you know, about this journey to being okay thing... hmmm... maybe you have remotivated me! ~t

    ReplyDelete