Thursday, January 27, 2011

Senior Citizen's Prom

Tonight I got a phone call from my mother to tell me that on the Channel 5 public station in East Hartford they were playing a segment they call the Time Capsule and I was on TV. 

I immediately figured that it was some horrendous newscast that I used to do with my friend DW when we were in high school.  Yes, that's right.  Between the years of 1995 and 1997, I was one of the EHHS correspondents on Channel 5.  DW and I would do a weekly broadcast, that we would normally write in the car on the way there, about all the news and happenings at the high school.  It was hilarious.  We never really knew where to look.  We always looked like we were listening too earnestly or were trying not to laugh.  Both of which were usually true.  Although often, I was just off camera trying very hard to make DW laugh during his broadcast.  I am so glad Youtube didn't exist when I was a younger version of myself.

But NO, that is not what was showing.  Instead what was showing was a recorded version of the Senior Citizen's prom from 1997.  There in all of our splendor were me and my friends dancing with the senior citizenry of East Hartford.  Every year we put on this incredible prom from the folks and we would dress in gowns and tuxedos and serve them a full meal.  We would learn basic ballroom steps ans dance the night away.  We always threw in a good bunny hop, chicken dance and electric slide.  My mom was just sitting there watching my 14 years ago and all my friends.  She was rattling off names over the phone and laughing at us as we danced. 

I remember those events so fondly.  I mostly loved my high school experience because I was able to do some great things and do things that I felt mattered.  I always felt like I was making a difference in my school and for my community.  It is an incredible thing. 

I have no idea why they were playing that particular year's prom.  But I'm glad they were.  It brought back really wonderful memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment