Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Vacation

Starting at 5pm yesterday when I locked up the Collis Center, I am on break until January 3rd.

Locking up the building last night, I found myself a little "verklempt"(is that how it is spelled? ).  It has been a long year.  Collis has always been my home and my safe space.  This year it has offered me sanctuary from the storm happening all around.  As I left the building, I found myself thanking the building.  I am sure if someone had heard me saying thank you out loud, they would have thought I was crazy.  There is something magical about the building.  It is a welcoming, comfortable, inclusive space at a place that has few of those spaces.  It isn't the most majestic building.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other student centers.  It doesn't need them.  It is a building full  love, care, warmth, creativity, passion, laughter and fun.  I am lucky to be a small part of the Collis Center history and to keep working to make it the campus living room.

I am looking forward to this break  I am looking forward to not being on  schedule.  I am looking forward to rest and relaxation.

This break is soo important because it is a time to gather energy stores to push through the next 6 months until graduation.  There is no break in the work once the new year starts.

I am looking forward to going home to CT to see my family.  I can't wait to see my niece wake up on Christmas morning.  I want to see the christmas tree.  I look forward to sharing some "beverage" with my mom.

I look forward to reading a couple of good books.  To organizing some things.  To taking care of myself, my space and my loved ones.

I am looking forward to having time to reflect and plan and process.

This break is coming at just the right time and I am so glad. 

1 comment:

  1. It is a special place. We'll be back theree soon!

    ReplyDelete