Monday, October 11, 2010

Fancy, Gilmore Girls & handwritten letters...

What do those three things have in common? 

1) These things all make me happy.

2) These things all make me think about my dear friend LS that moved away to Boston.  LS is a lovely Georgia peach.  She is hilarious and spunky and absolutely incredible.  I miss her terribly.  Boston isn't very far but somehow I never, ever manage to get down there.  LS was part of the original Karaoke Krew at the Kave! 

This brings me to the first thing on this list.  The song Fancy by Reba McIntire.  I have loved this song for a very long time. I worked very hard to get LS to get up and sing this song at karaoke...and finally she did.  Not only did she sing this song but she yodelled and she auctioned.  It was incredible.  

LS and I also bonded over our love of the television show The Gilmore Girls.  I have watched the entire seven seasons of the show about 4 times.   I really want the series on DVD but doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to spend my money on.  It comes in a lovely carrying case with a handle.  It kind of looks like a barbie clothes case that I vaguely remember having as a small child.  I think I stored my barbies and my GI Joes in it.  I also think that LS and I were both very much in love with Luke Danes (see image).  I know that we both cried when Lorelai sang I Will Always Love You and when they kiss on the season finale I know we both cheered. 


Finally...LS and I have agreed to write handwritten letters to each.  I LOVE snail mail.  I have been working hard on sending letters to friends.  If you want one, send me your address.  There is something so personal about handwritten letters.  It makes me feel more connected to the person I am sending a letter to.  Don't get me wrong.  I adore facebook and gmail and all my other technological gadgets and gizmos, but there is something so beautiful about a handwritten letter.  There is something about the time and care it takes to write the letter and mail it.  I know it isn't instant communication.  I also know that most times I have already communicated with the person I wrote the letter to and have told them everything in the letter.  Still, I take great satisfaction in sitting down and writing my thoughts in the moment.  Please also feel free to send me letters or postcards or small gifts.  I really like mail.  


Ah...LS...thank you for being in my life and for inspiring this joyful post.  Can't wait for our phone date.  

No comments:

Post a Comment