Sunday, November 14, 2010

Issues like tissues....

Issues...I have them...If I let them, they can stop me in my tracks and I will be immobilized for a while as I try to push through them.  I have learned tricks over the years to help me dig out of my own dwelling...

I am thankful for the following things:

1) the patience of my friends, particularly my BFF - to answer questions calmly, to reassure me that I'm not crazy, to hug me when I need it, to listen to me dissect a problem/conversation/issue until it is in little bitty pieces, to recognize my issues and my insecurities and love me still, to laugh at me when I need to be laughed at...and so many other reasons.

2) my chest of goodies - I have a small chest that is full of little scraps of joy.  Magic notes from camp.  Cards/letters from friends.  Mementos of moments in my life.

3) the library - yesterday I wandered through the public library and ran my hands over the bindings of hundreds of books.  I picked up books that I had read many times before and flipped through them and remembered their stories, the characters, the lives of the book itself.  I checked out three books for myself.

4) books - they can transport you to another time.  Books for me allow me to reflect and to refine my own points of view.  They take me out of myself in order to better understand myself.  The stories and characters remind of so many things but the very books themselves remind me of moments of time.  The books themselves have their own stories.  Some of my books have travelled with me since I was a young girl.  Some are newer acquisitions.  They had a life before they reached my hands and will have a life after they leave my hands.  I adore books.

5) sleep - sometimes I just need to sleep it off and in the morning things are brighter

6) tears - and sometimes I need to cry it out. Tears seem like a strange thing to be thankful for but I am thankful that I am able to release my emotions.  I am a crier...I cry.  It took me a long time to be okay with it.  When I am happy, sad, lonely, moved, angry...all kinds of emotions illicit tears...I have learned to let them come freely most of the time now.

In a strange way I am even thankful for my issues...they are part of who I am and part of my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment