Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pinky Swears

The pinky swear is a sacred thing between two friends.  It can not be used lightly or frivolously.  Nor can it be broken once sworn.  This simple hook of the pinky between friends secures a lasting commitment.

My BFF and I take the pinky swear very seriously.  We don't whip out the pinky for any situation.  Today my BFF requested a pinky swear from me for something very important.  He asked that I be honest about something that I don't EVER really talk about.

The timing was completely awkward because we were sitting at a bar.  The approach to the conversation was not gentle.  Regardless, it came from a place of deep love and care for me.

I hesitated.  He asked for a pinky swear.  If I was going to pinky swear then I intended to talk.  I'm not very good with the sharing sometimes.

I thought.  I mulled.  I processed.  Then I reached out with my pinky and I closed the pinky-swear.

One of the great and amazing things about my friendship with my BFF is that we both know that the other person is doing the best they possibly can to be the best possible friend.  As Garth Brooks says, he may not be big on social graces, but he has the biggest and most amazing heart.  His capacity to care is just tremendous.  I trust him completely, which is huge for me.

To friendship and many more years of pinky swears

No comments:

Post a Comment